Other financial header
Other Financial Support
There are various other means of assistance available which are dependent on your individual circumstances.

Council Tax Concessions 


As a full time student you can apply for council tax reduction/exemption. This is dependent on who lives in your household.  You will need an official letter to apply for exemption which can be given to you by George Abbot SCITT when you commence the course.   



Parents' Learning Allowance   


Parents' Learning Allowance helps towards your course costs, such as books, materials and travel. If you're eligible, you could get approximately £1,600  depending on your household income. 


You can apply for Parents' Learning Allowance when you apply for student finance. 





Childcare Grant


If you're eligible, the amount you may get will depend on: 

  • your household income;
  • the cost of your childcare;
  • the number of children you have.  

This could be between £150 per week and £260 per week depending on the number of children you have.  


If you're living and studying in England, you can apply for Childcare Grant if you use childcare that is registered or approved with OFSTED.





Child Tax Credit


You can claim Child Tax Credit if you have children under 16 (or under 20 in approved education or training).  You could get a basic amount of around £545 a year. This is known as the ‘family element’.  You could get extra elements on top of this.  How much you get depends on things like your income and circumstances (e.g. if your child is disabled).






The Adult Dependants' Grant


Full-time students in higher education with an adult who depends on them financially can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to approximately £2,700. The amount you can get depends on your income and the income of your dependants in the tax year preceeding your training period.





Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)


These are grants to help meet the extra course costs students may face because of a disability.  DSAs can help pay for:   

  • specialist equipment you need for studying;
  • non-medical helpers, such as a note-taker or reader;
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability ;
  • other costs.  

DSAs are paid on top of the main student finance package, or on their own. You don't have to pay DSAs back and they're not counted as income when working out whether you get benefits or Tax Credits.